HANSINE ULLBERG Kostelecky, CA
125, 14th Street NW, Drumheller, Alberta, T0J0Y1
Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills effectively demonstrated in dealing with complex senior management issues, staff teams, and customers on a daily basis. A seasoned self-motivated manager who can set priorities and get the job done while delegating and motivating others by valuing their skills and efforts. Broad business knowledge of banking, financing, human resources, marketing, tax and experienced in solving complex accounting issues.
April 2008 - Present Numberz Chartered Accountant
Hansine Ullberg Kostelecky Professional Corporation
* Full service public accounting practice registered with the Alberta Institute of Chartered Accountants
* Providing financial consulting services to a number of clients in a variety of industries including advising on operational business decision, setting up accounting procedures and human resource policies and providing accounting assistance at the transactional level.
* Contractor for financial reporting – AlterNRG – Quarter end reporting including MD&A and implementation of IFRS
* Manager of financial reporting - Pure Energy Services - Completing process improvement activities such as new automated systems that can be integrated with Great Plains Solomon and planning for IFRS; quarterly and annual external financial reporting.
January 2005 - April 2008 Birch Mountain Resource Ltd.
VP finance and CFO until November 15, 2007 and continued as a financial consultant
[A public company that transitioned from development to early operations with rapid growth and change.]
* Monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting functions, including the preparation of the quarterly MD&A and annual Form 20-F and full responsibility for the audits, reviews, tax filings and other accounting activities.
* Completed the migration of the public company listing from the TSXV to the TSX and the OTC-BB to the AMEX.
* Ensured compliance with securities regulations including responding to inquires by the SEC and ASC, filing of material change reports, press releases and Form 10Ks.
* Presented on investor road shows and conference calls.
* Developed human resource and corporate governance policies including Board charters and ongoing Board compliance requirements.
* Worked on two company financings for a public share offering and a private debenture placement.
* Developed the Company's first full departmental budget and liaise with our key lender in connection with financing and ongoing reporting requirements.
* Worked with our internal auditor and external advisors to complete the Company's first quarterly and annual full SOX reporting.
September 2003-October 2004 Calgary Flames Hockey Club
Director of finance (Contract expired due to NHL work stoppage)
[An organization under tremendous pressures to streamline operations, increase financial performance and resolve strategic league-wide issues.]
* Monthly, Quarterly, and annual financial reporting, including the preparation and reporting of key financial variables to management and ownership.
* Presentation and review of strategic and tactical plans to address issues as they arise.
* Manage team of 12 including finance, accounting, admin (2) and IT personnel (2).
* Analyze and forecast revenue and net profits including modeling revenue and cost scenarios for key business lines.
* Design and execute operating budget and contingency budget processes.
* External financial reporting to meet league and other external requirements - requiring alternative models and structures.
* Executed the development of new billing and accounts receivable management processes.
October 2000-September 2003 Alterna Technologies Group Inc.
Vice President, finance and Admin
[A start-up software company with global customers and expansion, financed by several rounds of private equity, including one completed during my tenure. A new role in finance was created to bring financial expertise to grow from 50 to 190 staff and from two to five global offices. Later, struggles with the sales and distribution in a contracting industry necessitated successive restructurings of the organization.]
* Responsible for financial statement preparation, analysis and reporting developed through consultation with management.
* Developed and maintained a three year variable business model.
* Lead conversion of payroll systems and implementation of global payroll/benefit solutions.
* Assisted in the development of the offering memorandum to support a private equity financing
* Designed and executed restructuring including staff and infrastructure changes.
* Assumed HR responsibilities in Jan 2003 including developing human resource policies and a revised annual performance review process.
* Developed relationships with bankers and professional service providers locally and internationally to enhance service, manage costs and increase controls.
January 2000-October 2000 Barton Instrument Systems Ltd.
[An oil and gas instrumentation company spun-off from a large international conglomerate. A new role was created to move financial controls from a head office model to a divisional model.]
* preparation, analysis and reporting of for financial information to local management and head office.
* Implemented company wide financial controls including Policy manual and assistance with re-certification under ISO standards.
* Developed the first set of human resource policies including revising annual performance review process.
* Developing relationships with key customers, bankers and professional service providers
* Prepared Canadian tax returns.
* Worked closely with finance personnel in the United States dealing with issues such as transfer pricing and personnel.
May 1993-July 1999 Ernst and Young (Calgary and Winnipeg)
Manager, accounting and Auditing
* Promoted early to manager after three years as staff accountant
* Coordinate and execute service delivery of audit, review, taxation, and special services to a client base of approximately 30 clients in the Oil and Gas Service Sector, Investment Dealers and Not-for-Profit organizations.
* Develop and entrench relationships with all clients.
* Manage conflicting demands of staff teams with responsibilities including mentoring and motivating.
* Research accounting issues and financial statement presentation/disclosure issues
* Prepared and presented several client sales proposals
* Executed due diligence procedure on oil and gas acquisition.
* Executed prospectus and due diligence procedures including audit procedures, underwriters comfort and securities comfort.
July 1996 Chartered accountant Designation -UFE in September 1993
May 1993 Masters of Accountancy -University of Manitoba
May 1992 Bachelor of Commerce (honours) -University of Manitoba
Volunteering: Co-Chair and Member of the Badlands Community Center sub-committee to Town Council; Calgary Flames Ambassador; Committee member for Canadian Youth business Foundation; Other various volunteer roles in the Community
Courses: Quickbooks Instructor at Continuing Education, Presenter at a seminar on accounting Controls and Audit Committee Best Practices; corporate governance compliance, ISO Auditing, Basics of the SEC, sales training, facilitation and negotiation skills, instructors training, and business process analysis
Other experience: Nursing Assistant at a long term care facility for five summers during University, summer accountant at Imperial Oil and retail clerk during high school and University
Other Interests: Running, skiing, physical fitness, gardening, travel